This 1/4″ drill bit is made for CNC router machine owners who want to get their holes drilled hyper-fast. The “Lightning” series drill bits for CNC routers are designed to get chips out of the way fast with high plunge rates and no peck drilling. Run this CNC drill bit at 10,000 RPM at 50 inches per minute, and each hole is complete in less than 2 seconds*.
Designed to leave superbly clean edges to minimize, or even eliminate, post sanding. Made for cabinet making, larger cribbage boards and other projects where efficiency and long tool life is important.
Compared to standard CNC drill bits, which can take up to a minute per hole.
Peck drilling is a slow process that heats drill bits up faster because the bit is rubbing [not cutting] while on the peck up-stroke and down-stroke. The no peck required fast-spiral design and carbide construction give this drill the ability to get the job done super fast.
If you are planning on designing and making a DIY cribbage board game, you want the holes to be perfectly positioned. Whether you are making it by hand with a drilling jig or on a CNC router, choosing any drill can lead to problems in your project. They are stated below.
This bit can also be used for those larger cribbage boards! And you get FREE Cribbage board files with this bit.
If you want 1/8″ lightning bit for your Cribbage board DIY projects, click here to see the fastest drill on the planet for CNC routers.
3 characteristics built into it for extreme performance:
- Rigid center-core allows the drill to ‘break out’ of the side and will not deflect
- It is made of solid carbide steel. Standard 1/8″ drill bits are made of highspeed steel. Density changes in wood grain cause high-speed steel bits to flex while drilling, causing your cribbage board holes to be out of alignment and at a slight tilt. Carbide is rigid so it resists flexing.
- High-speed steel heats up faster, so peck drilling is required to allow the tip to cool.
- The point grind reduces burrs around the top of the hole. It also holds a sharp edge 100x longer than high-speed steel.
- The smoothed flutes allow chip ejection while the drill bit is plunging, further allowing a complete hole without pecking.
This bit will last through hundreds of boards if you follow the feeds & speeds listed below. This 1/8 cribbage board drill bit can also be used for aluminum, brass, /steel acrylic, and other materials.
- Cut diameter: 1/4″
- Shank: 1/4″
- Length: 2.6″
- Flutes: 2
- Flute length: 1.25″
- Material: 100% carbide
- Plunge feed: 50 inches per minute
- Speed (rpm): 10,000 (Makita dial 1-1.5)
- Max plunge depth: 0.9 inches.
- Due to flute length, cannot full stroke plunge past 0.125 inches
- After 1.125 inches, set peck to 0.25″ @ 50ipm
FREE Feeds & Speeds table PDF. Download by clicking here